Re: Fuses [was] RE: Where's everyone going?

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 16:31:37 EDT

Alright, now you've got me wondering, so I went on a little
door-to-door shopping hunt this afternoon in search of
20 amp fuses. I left out all the places here that would have
them, but aren't chains. So here goes:

If you're looking for 20 slow blow you're out of luck,
unless your local TV repair dude has some. However
most of your needs are for regular 20 amp fuses and these
aren't hiding:

In the AGC or 3AG category (same fuse) the cheapest
place was Walmart at 5 for $.96! Parts America (used to
be called Western Auto) and Auto Zone both had them
at 5 for $1.19. Ace hardware has 5 for $1.29 and K-Mart
has them at 5 for $1.49.

An SFE20 is the same size and can be used ONLY on
circuits of 32 volts or less. These are available from Parts
America and Auto Zone for 5 for $1.19, Walmart at
5 for $1.23, Ace hardware for 5 for $1.29 and
Radio Shack 4 for $1.29.

Then comes the 3AB type used in microwave ovens, which
Radio Shack has at 4 for $1.99.

In an emergency you can use type ABC from Sears at
2 for $4.99. These are used in multimeters to fuse the
high amp range.

Remember, a 125 or 250 volt fuse will be fine at low
voltages but NEVER use a 32 volt fuse on a higher
voltage.