Re: [arcade] rotating monitors frequently (fwd)

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_idt.net>
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 23:25:57 EDT

> You'll see my version of a raster cabinet with a easily rotatable monitor :-).
> It's a 25" monitor. If the game has been off for a good amount of time (maybe
> 20+ minutes), I can rotate the monitor in any direction, and the colors will be
> fine.
>
> However, if I go from playing a Horizontal game to a vertical game, as I turn
> the monitor, the colors will change. By using a degausing coil, I can fix 90%
> of the monitors color in about 15 seconds, but for some reason the upper right
> corner (which would be the lower right corner in horizontal mode) remains
> unchanged :-\. Of course, if I turn the game off and turn it on a few hours
> later, the corner color is fine again.

There is a really easy way around the problem of having to wait for a
monitor to "straighten itself out" by letting it sit for a while.. The
reason you have to wait is because the PTC is cooling down. Just short it
out and put a switch inline with the degaussing coil (DGC). Whenever you
want to DG just press the button for about 3 seconds. DGing doesn't hurt
the monitor, just dont hold the button down for a few minutes or you may
see smoke.

the PTC (positive Temperature coefficient) is basically a resistor that
limits current flow when it heats up. When the monitor is cold the PTC
passes current to the DGC, and after a few seconds it heats up and cuts
the current off. It will "trickle" enough to keep it warm (and thus the
DGC off) whenever the monitor is on. it usually takes at least 10 min
for the PTC to cool off enought to do a complete DG. The PTC is that
little black box with 3 pins on the monitor chassis, usually right next to
the DGC connector..

Jeff