Digital Solder station on sale -- worth it ?

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Tue Aug 03 1999 - 12:28:18 EDT

Just got a Tech America sale flyer. They are advertising a digital soldering
station (their house brand) on sale for $74.97, regularly $149.95 .
Temperature range 200-450 degrees C, +-5% accuracy.

The Weller as a +-2% accurace, but seems to have the same temperature range.
But that's over $300.00 I've seen temperature control stations recomended
several times for working on old boards. Currently I've got a plain old
15/30 pencil.

I know the wisdom of buying the good stuff in the first place, and usually
do. Hoever, I can justify spending $75 a lot easier than $300 on a solder
station.

Any gotchas to look for ? It includes a 1.2mm conical tip, and lists several
others.

-Chris

http://www.westnet.com/