Something to make you cringe a little.

From: Matt Rossiter - Verio Southern California <matt_at_rossiters.com>
Date: Sat Aug 07 1999 - 20:48:19 EDT

I was at a local electronics surplus store today and noticed they had a
bunch of NOS (Never been used) High Voltage Units for Electrohome G08
monitors. So I asked him how much he wanted for them and he said $10 each.
Then I asked him if he had anymore in stock and he said he used to have a
WHOLE TON of them - but some students from the local junior college bought
most of them for their science projects - like making bug zappers.
Youch. So I rescued the 5 he had left.

This surplus store used to to be a televsion repair shop and they were
able to salvage the high voltage units from games that never passed
inspection. He said usually the only problem was that people would steal
the roms from the games. Nothing was wrong with the monitors themselves.

He's got boxes and boxes of flyback transformers, so I'll have to look and
see if he has anything else interesting.

By the way, I'll probably put one on ebay simply to get my $50 back. But
if anyone is interested in one - I'm looking for a missile command board
and/or control panel and would be interested in some sort of trade. I'm
not sure how much an NOS high voltage unit is actually worth to gamers,
but if you really need one just let me know.

Matt