Re: Star Wars Power Supply

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 12:07:49 EDT

True that switchers can introduce their own noise, and there certainly are
unreliable brands out there, but I find the switchers have the one nice
feature of no catastrophic failures. A linear supply can short out the pass
transistor and thus put the unregulated 10.3VDC across the game board. I
have seen this on a Williams pinball game, a Pinbot (I know, I know, but,
hey, the shots are vectors, aren't they?) where the MPU board was
completely destroyed, chips with their tops literally BLOWN off.
Other games that use multiple voltages if one voltage fails, then the RAM
can burn up. So that's why, perhaps for rarest of games, I would recommend
seriously thinking about installing a switcher.

Now, one other good solution might be to get a SCR "Crowbar" circuit and
install it just after the pass transistor. Gottlieb pinballs (vector shots
again!) use this, and I have seen the SCR do it's job a few times over the
years, and protected the logic boards from regulator failures.

If anyone likes that idea I'll post a copy of the (very) simple schematic
on my site.

John :-#)#

  http://www.flippers.com