Re: I did it again! was RE: Where to buy parts?

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Tue Aug 24 1999 - 19:13:07 EDT

From: <person>

>When you press "reply" (or whatever you mailer does), usually the "From:"
>person is propagated to the "To:" position.
>
>This is the case 99.9999% out of my day from receiving e-mails from people
>asking question. It becomes habbit, and that's why these people make mistakes.
>
>Why is this list is set up opposite of this intuitive way?

Is it? The message is 'from' the vectorlist (your just one of a
hundred or so people reading the message), hence the 'reply to' is
back to the vectorlist.

>My other rant is my mailer nicely supported the way it was set up PREVIOUSLY.
>simply had to press "reply" to get the specific person, and "reply all" to send
>to the group. Also, when I sent something, I would get a copy of my e-mail
>back to me in my inbox so I could see what I had sent out (and quickly correct
>any mistakes with a follow up e-mail).
>
>That was nice.
>
>What would make sense is that if the "From" line said from vectorlist, the cc
>line be the person that sent it (so they would get a copy, and others could
>figure out who sent it).

Currently the "From:" is from the author, and the "Reply-to" is to the
vectorlist. My software (Agent) makes it easy to override the
"Reply-to" with the "From" for the few times I want to send a message
directly to the author.

Having been on mailing lists that default both ways (Author, or The
List), I found defaulting to the Author a major pain.

Since 99% of the time I want to respond to the list (it is a list, not
a personal e-mail from someone just to me.), it's much easier to treat
it like any other message.

Having to do something different each time I reply to the list
(whether it's check a box, "respond to all", etc), becomes a major
pain, with me mostly sending an individual message, wondering for a
while why it never reached the list, going "Doh!" and then re-sending
it again using the
"respond_to_this_using_the_special_action_which_is_different_from_all_my_other_email"

to override the normal way of replying at which point the author gets
my reply twice.

I like it the way it is for the above reasons. Just my couple of
pennies! :^)

-Zonn