Re: RipOff still CutsOff

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri Aug 27 1999 - 11:42:44 EDT

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Scott Harner wrote:

> whining does not seems to be related to marquee light
> although they both start up at the same time
> game will cut off after a couple of minutes of play
> sometimes its a total off- everything
> other times the screen goes blank but the sound is still playing

        Check your Power Supply voltages when this happens. I know that
you said you swapped power supplies. Did it always do this (i.e. with
both power supplies?) If so, it's probably a thermal failure of some chip
on the CPU board. Freeze spray and a hair dryer/heat gun will help you
localize it (when the game cuts out, start spraying chips 1 at a time with
freeze spary until (hopefully) it cuts back in.) When you think you've
found the chip, unplug the game, loet it cool down, start it back up
again, and use the hair dryer on your suspect chip and see if it cuts out
right away.

> even if this is solved i still think there is something with the sound
> it still doesn't act right
> when the enemies steal the fuel cells the rhythmn is supposed to quicken
> but mine doesn't- but other sounds are fine like the tank cannon and enemy
> laser blasts
> and that damn whining...
> what gives?

        Like I said in my last message, there are detailed sound board
troubleshooting instructions in the Rip Off manaul. Follow them. If your
sound board is good, you've got a problem with your main board (i.e. in
the way it talks to the sound board.)

Joe