RE: The force

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 12:15:39 EDT

> Um... well, Oregon is no slouch, either. There are tons of companies up
> here
> and even bigger than "silicon valley" in some respects.

Yeah, depends on how you deal with rain. (Goes double for Seattle) Rain is
OK by me 'cause it's a good excuse to hide inside and nerd-out with game
stuff.

Vancouver, WA (where I'm at) is a good deal with a fair amount of
techy-stuff here. (Sharp, HP, WaferTech, Linear Technology, AVX, Kyocera,
S3, Analog Devices, etc.) Washington has no state income tax, and there's
no sales tax in Oregon (a couple miles away).

> Well, there's plenty of places fairly inexpensive in the Crescent City,
> Yreka, and other northern Californian cities. Or did you mean *CENTRAL*
> California - near the bay area? I wouldn't mind living in the bay area
> myself. I know Intel would transfer me, but the cost of living increase
> they'd give me would be minimal to reality.

Having just spent a week in San Jose/bay area I can say it's a fine place to
visit, but wouldn't want to live there. ;-) I'm too spoiled with my 5
minute rush-hour commute up here. ;-) (I'm pretty sure I'd snap down there
and pull a "want to see what an M-11 looks like when fired from a moving
car?" routine on I-880 some day...)

The other rub is that it looks like my $150K house here goes for about $400K
down there! I doubt S3 would give me a 250% raise if I moved to San
Jose... ;-)

Ob. Vector: I was scrounging through the MAME source last night and noticed
Aztarac support files. Has that been emulated and I was just off in la-la
land and missed it?

-Clay