Re: Revisited: Sega XY freeplay

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Wed Sep 01 1999 - 15:09:28 EDT

Clay Cowgill wrote:
> Once you locate the coin switch reads, just step through the code and fine
> the timing loop. From there, hack on the ROM image (I wish MAME's debugger
> would let you modify program memory...) and test to make sure you killed the
> timer. ;-)

It is pretty easy to recompile MAME and change all the ROM loader functions so that
you can edit them in the debugger. If anyone needs help with this or is interested
I can help with any questions.

The biggest PITA about the MAME debugger is that it will only break on 'writes' to
a memory location and not on a read :-( (Unless this has changed in the last
3 months).