Re: Fluke 90 Z80 board tester

From: Alan J McCormick <gonzothegreat_at_juno.com>
Date: Fri Sep 10 1999 - 00:57:12 EDT

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:01:54 -0700 (PDT) Matt Rossiter - Verio Southern
California <matt@rossiters.com> writes:

>I got an interesting call from a guy who offered to sell me a Fluke-90
Z80
>board tester for $125 - and it's new, in the box with all the manuals
and
>accessories. I asked him and he said it wasn't a pod.

I found one of these a few years ago. I used it to dump the contents of
the Z80 memory of games for MAME. I haven't used it for anything else. It
was a pain to use because it has to have control over certain Z80 lines
or it will fail self test and lock up. You can get around this with a
special Z80/socket combo. If the Z80 isn't socketed, you will have to cut
some lines and solder in a resistor.

The best part of this unit is that even though it is a lean version of
the 9010, it has an rs-232 interface. You can grab data off the UUT and
store it on the PC. You can also send commands to it (fill mem, test
memory, I/O, etc). I found it easier to hook it up to a PC and use a
terminal prog to talk to it. Can't stand the chicklet keys on it.

>Has anyone ever heard of this test unit? I went ahead and took his
offer,
>but I know nothing about it.

Think of it as a dumbed-down 9010/Z80 pod combo. It has a little
alphanumeric LCD display instead of the VF display of the 9010. It is
powered off the UUT instead of having its own supply like the 9010. Mine
came with some probe that I never bothered using because I just used the
tester for dumping memory.

Its a lot more portable. The whole unit is a little bigger than my Z80
pod. Fluke supposedly made models for the other 8 bit CPUs but I've never
seen one except the Z80.

Virtu-Al