Re: TECH: 13 inch Amplifone! HELP!!

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Mon Sep 27 1999 - 04:52:19 EDT

IF all 3 bases are connected together and IF ANY
of the 3 transistors were shorted or leaky the result
would be to turn on all 3 beams.

Take out the transistors on the neck board. The result
should be a black screen. If instead you have one color
hard on there is probably a shorted gun (heater/cathode
short)---but not likely because that wouldn't cause the
whiteout you have now.

IF you can't achieve black with all 3 transistors out you
either have no voltage to the cathode pull-up resistors
(must be >90 volts positive) OR grid 1 isn't grounded
(bad pin contact??) OR high voltage is too high (but
you already checked that OR grid 2 is too high due to
a gassy CRT or bad contacts or defective grid 2 (screen)
pot circuit.