Re: Amplifone HV problem

From: Dan Todd <acmech_at_erols.com>
Date: Tue Sep 28 1999 - 23:52:30 EDT

I've got a few Amplifone HV boards and I'm trying to get one up and running.
Originally the HV was working. After two days it died.

I found the BU406D was bad. Replaced it and had a picture for a short time.

 It started smoking and I found the resister across the + 24 regulator was
smoking.

I replaced the reg and the board seemed to work fine although the pic was a
little dim. The brightness may have been turned down, but I didn't have time to
tell.

I turned it off and went to eat. I came back turned it on and had a picture. I
pulled out the HV probe and found the voltage to be at 18K. I started to dial up
the voltage and got to 19.5. A few seconds later it started making a hissing
noise and the picture went out. I turned it off and then back on and the hissing
noise remained. I checked the HV and it is about 8K and is adjustable from 6 -
10KV.

I rechecked the regulator and it is only putting out 12 volts. The -24 is OK and
the -/+ 30 is OK coming in.

I have a Red HVT in there. Does this sound like a bad HVT. I'm just wondering if
I should go out and get a 24v regulator or can the reg be good and something is
pulling down the volts?

Thanks for any help.

Dan