Re: How to tell speed of an unknown Z80 ?

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 23:08:05 EDT

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Frank Palazzolo wrote:

> If it said MK3880N-4, then it would be 4.0 Mhz. Those were the
> only 2 clock flavors from Mostek in 1981 anyways.

And as luck would have it, I have one of those too -- on an original IBM
PC-XT hard disk controller card !

> And since the other numbers you gave are date codes from 1980 &
> 1981, I'd say this is indeed the right databook.

Ah. This one says
MOSTEK (c) 8338
MK3880N-4
Z80-CPU

Only catch is this one is soldered on, others were socketed. I'll give it a
shot anyway. It galls me to bay $5 shipping on a $1.50 part.

Thanks !

(Gads-- when I think of all the old XT cards I saw dumped, and only grabbed
this one for a few parts. Oh, if I had only known !)

-Chris

http://www.westnet.com/