RE: vector programming...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Oct 04 1999 - 19:15:02 EDT

> I wrote a small vector data 'browser' called Aview that should work on
> Tempest. It is at
> http://www.gamearchive.com/video/general/hacking/programs/avrv/index.html

Yep, I used it to verify that the Atari AVG output from my vector-editor was
working... :-)

> Im not too sure about the 'mystery' opcode tho. In major havoc the vector
> ROM
> 'rts' always returns. I haven't messed with tempest but it has the same
> state
> machine PROM as SD,G,BW,MH so they shouldn't be any different?

Boy, I wish this would have come up for discussion a few months ago when
this was all fresh in my mind still. :-/ I doubt I'll have time to dig into
it much, but the basic situation was something like the return opcode not
seeming to return and instead running into the next set of vectors. (I
could be wrong, but it might have been where there was a tanker with a
pulsar in it?) By hand-disassembling the shape using Jess' opcode doc it
seemed that the routine should return after drawing the first shape, but
instead would continue on to the next. Maybe it was late and I was just
"not getting it", but I remember scratching my head for some time trying to
figure out what the hell was going on and never being able to figure it out
 from the docs I had on hand. Maybe it was spiker related-- seems like I
ended up copying the spikers into my ROM image instead of the Tempest VROMs
because of something weird...

*sigh*...

-Clay