Re: New Vector monitor project progress : Yoke issues

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 04:13:49 EDT

Multiple windings in parallel is really no different than one heavier
winding. But if you go the parallel route you may want to stick to
something like quadrafiler wire so that all wires are the exact same
length and couple into the core in exactly the same way. Otherwise
you're going to get some really nasty effects like keystoning or
excessively high drive currents due to parts of windings trying to
fight each other.

The way to make a deflection board that doesn't self destruct and
still has high drawing speed it to use a stacked output arrangement
where there is one set of transistors running from a fairly low
voltage that can hold the beam in any given position with low
dissipation and another set running from a higher voltage for
high speed movements. The G08 is an example of what happens
when you try doing both with only one set of transistors.

Another possibility is to use FETs. Biasing can be a royal bitch,
though. I had a circuit that used both bipolars and FETs in a
cascode (or is it cascade, I can never get those right) arrangement
where the FET dissipated most of the power and the bipolars
didn't have to see excessive voltages. Looked like a winner for
a G08 replacement board, but I sold off my games and have no
money for development.