Noticed new vector monitor discussions, this is my input...

From: Aaron Howald <Ahowald_at_bilbo.w-link.net>
Date: Fri Oct 22 1999 - 02:49:10 EDT

Hi to all of you! Since I work on TV's for a living, I thought I'd add my input to the fray...

Firstly,I think winding your own yoke may well be almost impossible.
 Unlike a standard coil (like a relay) the windings are staggered, crossed over on each
 other in a wild fashion, and precisly placed. All of this is for convergence assist+pin
 correction on some yokes. Doing this by hand is a grisly task, at best!
Second, some obsevations on standard tv yokes. 13" tv's NEVER have any electronic pin
  correction at all. I assume this is because of the small screen size...
 19" sets generally do not either, but most 25" do, and 27"-up ALWAYS have the correction.
  I assume with larger max deflection angles+longer beam travel, it becomes a nessessity.
  There is 1 25" set I know of that has no correction, and looks fine-other sets use a complex
  board to do it...but I wonder, if the yoke can be wound to fix the pin, why use a more
  expensive correction board?

Third, I thought of an easy way to double the drive-use 2 driver boards, and 2 sets of outputs!
  Drive board 1 (say a P327 from a WG) is X only, 2nd for Y. Feed drive 180 deg out of
  phase to one input, and connect the yoke winding between the 2 outputs. Has anyone tried this?

  I'd like to, but I need a P327 WG defelection board. Anyone have one for sale?!

  The yoke would have 2X the "kick" on it, for 2X beam draw speed. DC hold current would be the
  same, but drawn from both supplies (+-) equally (at 1/2 voltage each Of couse 2X parts=2X
  chance of failure!
  How about boosting the voltage to the board? The driver bias could be adjusted to compensate,
  and getting hi-power transistors at 6 Amps and 200 Volts are possible now.
I'm still working on my game system-slowly. It will be awsome when done-A modded 19" WG
       with a vector drive board of my own design, with a computer driver program/game engine
      of my own design.

If I can get a deflection board, I am keen to try the board doubling idea and the voltage increase.
Keep up the stimulating conversation!

Aaron Howald
ahowald@w-link.net