RE: Space Wars Options

From: Ozdemir, Steven S, GOVMK <sozdemir_at_att.com>
Date: Thu Oct 28 1999 - 18:17:41 EDT

G'day Jeff (and folks),

How about allowing the hyperspace buttons to serve other functions. I think
it'd be interesting if ONE option changed on the fly when either player
pushed their hyperspace buttons. I suggest that both player's hyperspace
button affected the same option to maintain a balance in game play. Perhaps
the reversal should be limitted to a fixed amount of time....say two
seconds?

A player might temporarily reverse gravity if they find themselves being
drawn into the sun. Or if a player keeps slipping away, a push of the
hyperspace button would change the boundaries from "wrap around" to "bounce
back"! If both players hold their hyperspace buttons, then the game would
revert to the options it started with. The button could only be used to
surprise the other player and strategies couldn't be built around it.

Also, I remember shooting into the reverse gravity sun and watching the
bullets deflect into the other player. Bullets and fuel must be limitted
since much of the competitive game play depends on good resource management.

                Steve Ozdemir
                sozdemir@att.com

ps - I think Space Wars could have been improved with a limitted number of
land mines (possibly friendly ones that won't explode if you laid it)?
Again, this could be an alternative use of the hyperspace button.