Re: Programming question : Newton's method

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 10:12:18 EDT

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, James Nelson wrote:

> I noticed the conversation. Since nobody mentioned it. I will.
>
> I good method for solving many equations is "Newton's method". I can get a
> math book out on this, but it more or less involves this:
>
> Make a guess of the square root based on whatever simple criteria.
> square it
> what is the difference between that and the expected answer?
> adjust the number according to how far off you are
> square it
> what is the difference between that and the expected answer?
> adjust the number according to how far off you are
> square it
> what is the difference between that and the expected answer?
> adjust the number according to how far off you are
> square it
>
> Generally, if correctly implemented, it is accurate to several decimal
> places after 3 iterations.
> This is probably more code than a look up table, but you should be familiar
> with this technique for solving complex equations.

        Yeah, computing the first derivative of the function is generally
more complicated than a lookup table ;)

        Actually, for this example, Newton-Raphson approximation wouldn't
work. Newton-Raphson is generally used to find the roots of a function:

        i.e. For which values of x are <insert your nasty, but not too bad
to differentiate function here> = 0

Joe

Joseph J. Welser jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Design Engineer -- Crystal Semiconductor Corporation
Ph.D. Student in E.E. -- University of Texas at Austin
Work: jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com http://www.crystal.com
P.O. Box 17847; Austin, TX 78760