RE: Space Wars Demo

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Fri Oct 29 1999 - 20:56:25 EDT

> It's just me working on space wars, Anders said he might help me on the
> "other" game ;-)
> I think I like the cartridge idea (clay, did you get my email about 2
> weeks
> ago?)

(Ummmm, maybe-- I'll need to look. Been busy with all sorts of stuff so I
might have missed it...)

> I am working on other games besides space wars and a cartridge system
> would
> allow games to be added as they are finished. It also opens it up for
> anyone
> else to add a game.

I've been thinking something like a cartridge system with multiple slots for
several games onboard at once. Sort of like an "N-slot" NeoGeo for
SpaceDuel where "N" is something like 8 or so. I'm also thinking something
like 72pin SIMM sockets for the "carts". Relatively cheap, small, and I can
get them around here easily from surplus from the motherboard
manufacturers... We want to have the ability for each cart to do something
"special" if so-desired. Maybe tap into the audio section so a cart could
include a new sound chip or something for more variety.

In order to foster a more prolific developer community we'll need to make a
system that will allow authors to *sell* software though and not worry too
much about the EPROMs just getting passed around. Not everyone will want to
write a game for several months and just give it away. Most of us here
would probably be happy to pay for a new game, but I'm not so sure about
everyone else...

> (which brings up the question "how am I suppose to add a
> star castle to tempest now that everybody has clay's kit?")

Heh... Well, there's *some* room in the kit for more games. Not a whole
lot though. It would definately require rework though since so much of it
is surface-mount. I'll figure out someway to deal with it when someone has
a complete game to offer. :-)

-Clay