RE: New Vector Monitor Project: DEFLECTION SCHEMATIC FOR REVIEW

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Nov 04 1999 - 13:04:20 EST

> I'll be making sure to keep the inputs well away from the rails. Thanks
> for
> the reminder anyway.
>
> I think the vector monitors are rated up to +/- 8 Volts input.

Yes, I believe that's right, although I also think some game boards might
drive them a *little* harder than that. (I want to say it's either +/-6V
vertical and +/-8V horizontal or maybe +/- 8V vertical and +/- 10V
horizontal...)

My memory is a little foggy, but I remember getting ~6V, ~8V and ~10V TVS'
for input protection. I also remember thinking that the smaller values for
input clamping (6V) could effect the "overscan" explosion effects in Star
Wars though. I didn't try my TVS board with a Star Wars board providing
input... I should do that. (I did do a "how confident am I?" test-- plugged
the X and Y monitor inputs into a transformer doing about 80V P-P hooked up
to the 110V wall plug... Worked fine, clamped everything over +/- 8V...)

-Clay