Re: cheap 5K linear pots found!

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat Nov 20 1999 - 11:51:42 EST

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, John Robertson wrote:

> Good question. One problem with pots is they wear out. The ones that Atari
> and others used (Allen Bradley) are special high use pots. These ARE more
> expensive than ones you can pick up at regular suppliers. I have tried
> inexpensive linear pots in the past and they last perhaps a small fraction
> of the time that an Allen Bradley pot in the same application. The AB pots
> have special construction to allow them to be used constantly.

        For home use, how often do you need to adjust the
volume? Certainly not constantly.

        I'd think even the cheapest of the el-cheapo pots would be fine.

Joe

Joseph J. Welser jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Design Engineer -- Crystal Semiconductor Corporation
Ph.D. Student in E.E. -- University of Texas at Austin
Work: jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com http://www.crystal.com
P.O. Box 17847; Austin, TX 78760