Re: vectorbeam hardware

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Thu Nov 25 1999 - 19:06:46 EST

The Vectorbeam/Cinimatronics used the DACs to charge a capacitor to the starting
point and then had the DACs charge the capacitor to a finishing point that (through
a resistor) that was WAY past where they wanted to go. Then they only used a small
part of the charging of the capacitor as their line. This gave them a relatively
linear line out of an exponential charging curve. A timer determined how long to
generate the line.

I believe others used a similar approach using integrators.

Doing it your way you'll need a software version of a rate multiplier. Initialize
the DACs to the starting point. For example, let's say you then want to draw a line
that's moving to a finishing point 50 steps in the X direction and 30 steps in the Y
direction, take the larger number (50) and make a for-next loop that changes X from
the starting to the ending value. Inside that loop you will change X by 1 for each
iteration and Y by 30/50 (.6). This will create your smooth line. Just don't go
faster than the monitor can move and you'll be OK. NONE of this needs to be
floating point math.