Re: Another Major Havoc Q [interesting]

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 21:40:40 EST

Josh McCormick wrote:

> Here's one for you.
>
> I noticed that the crystals on the board were resoldered in.
> Crystal Y1 = 10.000mhz
> Crystal Y2 = 8.000mhz
>
> But the manual says Y2 should be 12.096mhz.
> Is this the one the pokeys feed off of? (And the gamma CPU?)

Major havoc boardsets that were meant to run in a Tempest Conversion (ie using a
6101 monitor instead of an amplifone) had slower crystals in them so that the
monitor could handle the drawing rate.
  Original boards had a 12.0 and 10MHz while the conversion boards replaced them
with a 10.0 and 8.9MHz respectively.
  You can tell a 'conversion' board just by playing it because the sounds are
about 3 steps down in tone, they also play much slower, which is probably good
since you just can't do as much with the tempest spinner compared to a nice
roller! :-)