Re: Happy Fun Band...

From: Noel Johnson <nej_at_airmail.net>
Date: Fri Dec 10 1999 - 01:02:31 EST

John Robertson wrote:

> Certainly they don't blow the glass with the rim in place, it is added
> BEFORE it is evacuated. The steel band is there because a rectangular tube
> is NOT the strongest shape in the world when under stress. The original
> picture tubes were round, until they figured out the principle of wrapping
> a band around the tube to hold it together. This band is the same as the
> trunions added to cast iron cannons in the 1400's to make them much
> stronger.There is quite a bit of history to this band, and as it has been
> said before "He who forgets the past is condemned to repeat it"

Cudo's John! However, you've got my palms sweating a bit. Only last
week I was using a set of vice grips to straighten out the four metal
tabs at each corner of an Amplifone tube. As you know, these tabs are
mounted *under* the metal band. I will be *very* careful next time I
try that again (if at all...)

Thanks,

Noel