Battlezone question(s)

From: tom mcclintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 17:53:04 EST

I've got two Battlezone questions for you guys. First, I picked up a
"non-scope" version of Battlezone at the Mesquite auction, and it does
not use the mirror 3/D effect display that the "normal" uprights use.
The monitor displays straight on. Is there a dip switch setting to flip
the video signal, or do I have a specific set of ROMs that does not
display the game vectors in reverse?

Second question touches on why it might not be working... ;)

Got the Battlezone home, and it wasn't working properly (it was at the
auction). The game would power up just fine, but it was not drawing all
the vectors. I put the game into test mode, and turned it on, but
checked out ok in the test mode. Then, with the game on, I put it into
test mode, and an initial constant tone told me I had a bad RAM at J2
(or so I think).

RAM, ROM - its all the same, so I popped the boards out, cleaned and
reseated all the removable chips on the CPU board and the mathbox. Now
the game won't come up at all! Man I can't win... The lighted Start
button stays lit, and all I can see on the screen is a very (very) small
center dot. The CPU, mathbox and deflection boards each have a red lit
LED (I'm assuming the deflection board LED is telling me I screwed
something up!)

Comments or advise?

tom