RE: TECH FIX: Cine AA VectorBeam Monitor (and a little story)

From: Simon Whittam <shag_at_nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 15:35:29 EST

If you wanted, you could use an extra Vectorbeam chassis board
(or a breadboard equivalent circuit) and just use the DAC/analog switch/op
amp
section without the rest of the monitor (and neglect the amplifier section).
Seems
to me, however, that it is the amp that would be the problem on these
monitors most
of the time anyway so using the scope on the bad chassis would make some
sense. If the gameboard is bad, then you can backtrack from the analog
switch
to the DACs and then back to the CPU if necessary ... no?

A test bench would need the +/-22V OR +/-15V to power the audio
board anyway (and could thus be used for the monitor board to power
the analog switch etc) ...

It's neat actually to watch the Vectorbeam draw AA on the scope. Whereas
Atari
seems to originate the beam from the center, the Cine VB draws from the
upper left
corner (rightside on scope).

Watching it "draw" the copter as it flys around on the scope is one of the
coolest
things I've seen in a long time ...!!

  SPW
  Kanata, On