Re: 19VLUP22

From: Noel Johnson <nej2001_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Dec 29 1999 - 15:23:46 EST

--- Jon Raiford <raiford@mindspring.com> wrote:
> An oddball tube? Are you sure about that? I
> thought it was the same as G07's and
> most color TV's.

The Wells Gardner tube is used in G08's and was used
in a couple of TV's in the early 80's I believe, but
it is fairly rare. It has a 100 degree deflection
angle (most tubes are 90 degree). This is what
causes the bulging problems when using a Wells Gardner
in a Star Wars. The plastic nipple on the neck of the
tube is very different than that used on an amplifone.

The amplifone nipple OTOH is the same as many TV's
and raster monitors.

> If anything, I thought the
> Amplifone had the oddball tube even though
> the pinout was the same as most. If it really does
> use an odd tube, then I'll have even
> more "fun" throwing WG boards on my 720->MH
> conversion. I really didn't want to
> get into changing the pins on the neck board.

You will most likely have to find the "nipple" off
the end of a 19VLUP22 tube and transfer it to the tube
you are going to use for the conversion. Otherwise,
the socket on the WG neck PCB won't mate with the
tube.

> Btw,
> any idea what I can use for holding
> the chasis transistors for my little hack? I was
> planning to destroy a bunch of AR2's
> to use the heat sinks (since they already have the
> socket for the transistor and they
> are a dime a dozen), however I feel really bad about
> destroying anything made by
> Atari.. Does anyone have a better idea? I'd love
> to hear it.

I've seen TO-3 heatsinks for around $2.00 apiece from
Electrotex. These could be mounted on a piece of
sheetmetal that had been drilled for the chasis
transistors. Perhaps you could use the baseplate
from an old raster monitor or just buy a piece of
heavy
guage sheet metal (maybe 12" or 18" square). Drill
it for the transistors, and then mount the TO-3
heatsinks for added protection. Heck, I would be
happy to build you something in exchange for a few
AR2's! :-)

Or, if you are planning to use Wells Gardner boards,
why not use the Wells Gardner chasis as well? That
is unless you are still going with a 25" tube. I
believe it is fairly standard procedure when building
"hybrid" monitor out of a 19" amplifone (or other)
tube/amplifone yoke and Wells Gardner boards to go
ahead and use the Wells gardner chasis to hold the
transistors and boards.. :-)

Noel Johnson