RE: separate vector list?

From: Magiera, Joe (AIT) <joe.magiera_at_msg.ameritech.com>
Date: Wed Jan 05 2000 - 08:47:58 EST

> but what is the point of VAPS?

> It is a who's who and a brag sheet, basically. Couple
> problems I see with VAPS.... 1)the format.. (as Eric said) with board
collectors
> skewing the numbers quite a bit with top collected game and what not.
<snip>
> 3) Bizzare categories like "Knowledge" that you are supposed to fill out
> about games you own. Does this make sense to anyone as a category? And
who
> cares how much knowledge someone has?

I had responded to Kev privately to keep it out of the vector list, but
since a number of people have questioned it, since I brought it up, I'd like
to explain my answer. Yes it is a brag list, but I don't see a problem with
that. I also agree with the format problems that a few others have pointed
out. But if used as a reference item, I think it's a great thing. More
than once I have e-mailed directly owners of a game with a question (after
it went unaswered on RGVAC) and they have helped out (and yes I used the
"knowledge" category to help decide who to e-mail). No one has minded the
direct e-mailing probably because it wasn't just spam, and I wasn't out
trying to buy their game. But people being what they are, I can also see a
lot of abuse. I'm glad I haven't heard of any (yet).

Joe

joe.magiera@ameritech.com