Re: Asteroids repair question

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 21:42:43 EST

>My Asteroids board started acting up yesterday. The thrust sound is now
>white noise instead of the wonderfully low rumble it used to be. I see
>there's a chip that looks like a 3 bit DTOA (effectively) that controls
>what appears to be the filter cutoff point. Any ideas why my thrust sound
>sounds like white noise?

>From what you'd describe that would be a total lack of filtering. (You're
getting pseudo white noise from the shift-feedback chip OK, but no filter to
shape it to the "rumble" maybe?)

The only schematic I have within reach is Lunar Lander, but it should be
close. The 4066 making that three bit ladder looks to be volume attenuation
to me, but the fourth switch might be a filter on/off? I'd replace the 4066
and see what happens. Otherwise the LM324 would be a good one to go after
(one opamp is used for a filter it looks like).

-Clay