G-80 conversion wiring hell.

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 12:23:00 EST

Either I'm just hopelessly confused, or I've got a very screwy Asteroids to
Star Trek conversion on my hands. Clay's been a big help getting this
working, but I figured I would opent his part up to the list. I'ld
appreciate if someone could look in their card cage and tell me if it looks
like what I've got in my machine or the schematics.

First, I don't know what the hell volume pot they got on this thing, but
it's a 50 ohm pot when the schematics call for 10k ohm. OH MY GOD THAT IS
LOUD !!!!!!! We'll get a pot at RS and fix that tonight.

Since it was now playing blind (thanks to some working boards from Clay), I
tried hooking the scope to the moitor inputs -- no juice. Clay suggests
hooking directly to the X/Y ouput on the board -- that works.

After much studing of the wiring in the card cage and the schematic from
spies, I think the wiring inside my card cage has been screwed up, causing
me to swap P30 and P31 (the cables that hook to the two XY board.

On my cage, P30 has four wires -- Red, Black, Blue, Green. P31 has three
wires -- Grey, Black, (blank -- hole plugged), and White.

The cabinet wiring diagram shows P30 on the XY control board (does color),
and P31 on XY Timing (X/Y position, what you hook to a scope).

HOWEVER, my P31 has a keying plug inserted into hole 2 (or 3, not sure of
the number direction), and my XY Control board has a corresponding pin cut
off of the four position header.

If I'm reading everything correctly, this means the only way I can currently
hook things up is --- wrong !

I'm hoping the only problem is someone stuck a key pin into a plug where it
didn't belong. Juding from the schematic, it's the ground pin cut off the
XY control board.

Without the keyway, that also means I'm not sure which way is up on those
plugs. Does the side with the number (p3x) on go it up or down ?

I thought I'ld learned to Trust Nothing on a non-working game. I just never
thought that keyed cables could possibly be backwards !

-Chris