Re: RE: Space Wars

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu Feb 03 2000 - 01:40:06 EST

>Ya know, I am wondering why a co-processor is needed for Space War on Space
>Duel hardware, since SD manages to do the colision detection, AND keep all
>the other objects moving.

Not to answer on Jeff's behalf or anything, but he's doing real
point-on-line collision checking which is a fair amount of math. Space Duel
(and Asteroids and its kin) are using simple bounding-box checks that are a
lot faster, but less accurate. Jeff's Space War could concievably know the
exact part of the ship hit, so you could blow off an engine or all sorts of
possibilities.

I understand the "write to the real hardware" side of the argument, but on
the other hand Atari themselves built elaborate mathboxes (Red Baron,
Battlezone, Tempest, Star Wars) and used multiple processors (Star Wars,
Major Havoc) to get some more horsepower out of their designs. Besides,
there's not many people writing new code for these things as it is, much
less many people willing to hand-tune assembly for a few months to sell 30
copies of the game when it's done. ;-)

-Clay