Re: Missing posts? Re: Sega XY and Production run numbers

From: <Thomas43_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 17:30:34 EST

In a message dated 2/22/00 2:19:07 PM, jenison@cig.mot.com writes:

<< Two things I noticed:

1) Asteroids production numbers: 47,000+.

I and many others had been led to believe that Asteroids went back into
production and crossed over the 50,000 mark, and those over the 50,000
mark were consider "gold version". Anyone know anything about this, or
is this just "urban legend?"

The 'Gold Edition' is the 10,000th unit off the assembly line. It features
gold tinted graphics, control panel, etc, etc. It has a metal plate with the
'10,000' serial number on it. It even had a gold tinted PCB in it, until it
broke and was lost. It is on display in the Atari (midway west) gameroom in
Milpitas. It's actually, kind of ugly.

<<
2) Black Widow cost: $995

Space Duel was around $2000, so I figure that either this is a typo, or
this is the price of the upgrade kit (cp, header, bezel, sideart, board).
Even though I heard some of the upgrade kits were done at the factory.

Can anyone clear this up? >>

 I saw complete, factory new Black Widows in an old Replay Magazine for $995.
 I assume they were just trying to get rid of all those Gravitars that were
stuck in the factory. I checked the list twice, but it's $995. No kits are
listed on the price sheets. It just says 'TOTAL BUILD'. I think the kits
were selling for $395. I think they were trying to make the operators happy
by trying to salvage their investment in the 'Worst Game of all Time'.
I'll check my old Replays to see what I can find.

Scott