Re: Question about the Tempest marquee repros

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 17:26:45 EST

>Speaking of this marquee, this brings me around to the subject of prepping
>for a new overlay install.

A few things that I've picked up over time:

1) If it's a control panel, take all the buttons and stuff off and then
heat it up! Like 20 minutes in front of a space heater or something
similar. Once *hot*, that adhesive gives *much* easier. I did this with a
Combattribes covered Gauntlet panel and once it was hot just stood on one
corner and grabbed one edge of the overlay with a pair of pliers and
pulled... Whole thing came off in one piece.

2) If it's glass/wood like a Tempest marquee assembly, I'd be careful with
the heat, but peeling at 80-100 degrees F will be much easier than at 45
degrees F... Just let it come up to temperature *slowly* so you don't crack
the glass or anything.

3) Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover. Meant as a mean-ass paint
stripper, this stuff will also remove most anything plastic or
sticker-residue like. Brush on in moderate temperature and wipe-off after a
couple minutes. Scrub a little with a metal or horse-hair brush. (A
toothbrush will dissolve in seconds.) Really easy. Unfortunately it's a
known carcinogen and burns like hell if it gets on you. No such thing as a
free lunch... ;-) (I suspect this would also dissolve/soften the marquee
itself if applied to the top.)

Something like MEK might eat the plastic overlay nicely too.

-Clay