Re: Tempest board rev.

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 17:22:03 EST

Ah, well, it is fairly simple once you understand the addressing. On your
board, there are, say for simplicity two 2716's. Now the hardware person
was a bit creative and wanted to take advantage of the cheaper 2532's (when
they become available - remember this is 1980ish)) and hardwires the board
so that the first socket has A11 as the chip enable for the 1st 2716, and
inverts A11 to use as the chip enable for the second 2716. Now when you use
the chip select you have it cover a 1K window instead of 1/2K and for the
first half of the 1K A11 is LOW thus 2716 #1 is enabled and 2716 #2 is
disabled because it sees inverted A11 or HIGH. Now for the upper half of
the 1K window, you then toggle A11 high, this disables 2716 #1, and enables
2716 #2. Now when the 2532's drop in price to rival the 2716's you just
drop them in, they program faster and fewer assembly steps for the
manufacturer. Or if 2716's aren't available or whatever...

On your Tempest they just had a bunch of 2716 sockets that were wired to
A11 and the second bunch wired to inverted A11, thus when you stuff in the
2532's, you just use the first bunch with regular A11.

You will see some games that had jumpers in place that would allow you to
run MANY different types and sizes of ROM memory - Midway motherboards
spring to mind as an example, plus Bally pinball MPU's.

Clear?

John :-#)#

  http://www.flippers.com