Re: Asteroids Deluxe Versions

From: Jon Raiford <raiford_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 08:55:39 EDT

Well, as far as I can tell, there are three or four versions. The set I have is from the first version. All of the roms have a -01 printed on them and the pcb has something like -01 written on it by hand. I worked on a third revision board (-03 hand written on the pcb) a couple weeks ago and it had all -02 roms except for two. Location N/P2 had a -01 and location J1 had a -03.

Heres where this all gets a little interesting.. There are a bunch of -02 roms, which would suggest that the rev 2 would have all -02 roms except for the -01 at N/P2. The set readily available on the net doesn't have this combination though. Instead, they have a set with all -01's w/ a -02 at J1. So is this a released set? Or have people been using a butchered set this whole time? Does anyone have an Asteroids Deluxe out there with -02 written on the pcb? What roms do you have?

I am guessing that someone threw a -02 ROM on a first revision board just to make it work and it just happened to make it into the record books as the first revision. Assuming this is correct, I'll throw together a readme.txt describing the three versions I have described. Either way, it won't affect MAME or people fixing their boards since the roms themselves won't change. It will just depend on which roms are used. Jess: I'll send you the updated zip file to put online.

Jon