It's alive 25" vector

From: jason Milsom <MILSOM44_at_webtv.net>
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 10:55:39 EDT

  I have a Star Wars cockpit with a 19" WG monitor and have been wanting
to restore it to a 25" since I got the thing. Yesterday I finally
figured out how. I ended up with a couple of 25 inch color t.v.'s from a
barn where some friends and I got a bunch of games (see "The Barn" on
Jonathan Morrisons web page). A friend of mine (James Sweet) convinced
me that I could make just about any tube work with any monitor, And Tom
McClintock and Noel Johnson pointed out that the 25" yoke for the
amplifone is the same as the 19" WG yoke.

  Using the chassis from a completely stock WG and the tube from a JVC
25" T.V. I now have a 25" color vector monitor! It works fantastic.
Convergence is fine (didn't take much effort) and the picture is very
sharp and bright. In fact I'm using Gravitar as the test subject (it was
the easiest to get to) and I've always found Grav. to be a little dim on
a WG (turn up the screen and you see connecting lines) but on this
monitor it's very bright.

  The T.V. was a JVC AV-2600US. The Tube is a Hitachi 670ETB22. It's a
100 degree tube. I used the convergence (magnetic) trim rings from the
T.V. I replaced the tube socket on the neck board with the one from the
T.V. All the pins matched up except number 5 which is grounded on the WG
but goes to Screen Grid on the Hitachi tube. I simply cut the pin on the
socket and jumpered it.

 I think James is right. Most tubes will work with most chassis, It's
just a matter of connecting the pins properly.

Thanks
Jason Milsom

http://community.webtv.net/MILSOM44/MilsomsPuband