Cinematronics Bootlegs

From: Kev <mowerman_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 22:34:20 EDT

Ripped this from Vending Times 2/81

"

ROCK-OLA

"We expected to see some copying at the European shows," observed Dr. David
Rockola, executive vice-president of Rock-Ola Manufacturing Corp. "But we were
surprised when we saw four different copies of Star Castle in 10 different
displays at the ATE show.

"Most of the copies were made by Video Games GmbH of Lich, West Germany, who
was also supplying kits, "Dr. Rockola went on. "Verbally, I 'persuaded' nine
out of 10 exhibitors to remove the copies from the ATE exhibit floor. Since
Video Games GmbH was considered the biggest threat, they were officially wanted
to cease and desist.

"However, a week later, Video Games GmbH, informed Nova Apparate, the Rock-Ola
distributor in West Germany, that they felt they could show the machine at the
IMA show on the advice of their attorney," Dr. Rockola continued. "At this
poin, Rock-Ola obtained an injunction agains Video Games GmbH. After which
Video Games GmbH filed a protective motion in order to continue showing the
machine.

"However," Dr. Rockola went on, "ater deliberation and review of the protective
motion, the judges granted an injunction in favor of Rock-Ola. The judges
finding came very close to the end of the IMA show. In order not to complicate
things, Rock-Ola did not exercise this injuction until after the IMA Show. Our
attorney has reached an agreement with Video Games to comply and stop any
manufacture and reprogramming of PC boards and they also agreed to damages as
well.

"Based on these finding, " he added, "several other companies who had made
copies agreed to settle out of court with Rock-Ola. The names of some of the
Star Castle copies were Space Castle, Stellar Castle and Space Fortress amond
others.

--
Kev                    Mowerman@erols.com    >>REMOVE THE ? to REPLY
Looking for Pac-Man related hacks & Video Game