RE: Battlezone (repair rant!)

From: Rosenzweig, Joel B <joel.b.rosenzweig_at_intel.com>
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 08:46:59 EDT

> Anyway, just had to rant a little there. Another day in the life of
> collecting 20 year old electronics...
>
> -Clay

That was good. Though I was looking for:

2A) Power up game again in test mode. Beep BEEP. "Well thank you self
test! I knew it wasn't just wasting precious ROM space in my game. Now I
know precisely which part to replace because the ever so useful manual tells
me what component has failed." So I went ahead and replaced the 2114 at C3.
Power up again. Beep beep BEEP. Doh! "Wow, this self test is good,
finding all these bad parts. The ram at D4 is bad too! I'll replace that,
and surely it will work." Power up again. Beep beep beep BEEP! "Hey, this
is getting old now. Sure are a lot of RAM failures. Ok, I'll replace the
ram at E5. Just how much code space did we lose to self test?" Power up
again. Beep BEEP! "No no no, this can't be possible. I just replaced that
chip! How can this be? Down with self test! We should have had tanks with
more vectors instead! Who needs self test anyway?" Replace all ram,
74244's and 74245's, *all of them*. Power up again. "Hey, no more beeps!
The game works! xxxxx worked. But the monitor is now smoking!"

Joel-