Major Havoc - No video

From: Evrovski, Andrew <andy_at_cyberplex.com>
Date: Wed Jan 31 2001 - 23:40:54 EST

Hello folks,

        Got a new Major Havoc problem. No video - even in test mode. Game
plays blind. When I turn up the brightness on the monitor, I see a red line
that kind of looks like an L and seems to change a bit, but not much. Spot
killer is on though under normal monitor conditions. Replaced about 85% of
the chips on the board (including every chip in the to Video out section I
mean 6012s, TL084s, 13201s, 082, all of them - with known working chips).
The only chips on the board I didn't replace are some in the rows 5,4,3, 2,
and 1 - higher than H. But according to the schematics, it looks like those
are responsible for the actual code execution and that seems to be working
fine since the game plays - but blind.

        I am out of moves. I don't know what to do next. I know the
monitor works - tested with other board. The chips I used to replace were
from a "new" stock - randomly tested in a working board - they work. ROMS,
RAMS, CPUs, Pokeys, and AVG chips all known working - were tested in another
board.

        At this point I am at a loss. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

Andrew Evrovski