Re: MH CP on eBay

From: Jonathan Koolpe <jkoolpe_at_itsa.ucsf.edu>
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 15:04:52 EST

>>This looks like a standard Space Duel conversion control panel. What are
>>the signs that it is anything else?
>
>It isn't shaped like a Space Duel CP and it is using a dedicated MH
>controller rather than a Tempest spinner. All of the conversion kits (even
>for Space Duel) used the Tempest spinner. This definitely looks like a
>home-built conversion using a dedicated controller and a conversion kit
>CPO. It's quite valuable in any case if for no other reason than it
>contains a dedicated MH controller.

I recently got what I was told was a dedicated MH spinner for my MH which
is a Space Duel conversion. It came with a nice Tempest upright that I
picked up recently. I switched the "Tempest" spinner from my MH to the
Tempest and put the "MH" spinner on the MH.

The spinner has a different overall shape than the normal Tempest spinner
with fewer veritcal ridges and the molded Atari logo is printed on the top
circular surface. Underneath the control panel, the entire mechanism of
the spinner is encased in a black, plastic case (i.e. not exposed). It is
also weighted somewhat so that when you spin it, it takes more effort, but
I guess the idea was that it would be better for the more subtle moves that
you have to make during the game (particularly while you're inside each
space station) as opposed to Tempest where quickness is much more of a
factor.

So anyways, while we were all on the topic, I was just curious if this MH
spinner is truly unique to the conversions...

Jonathan

Jonathan Koolpe
Staff Research Associate
University of California, San Francisco