Re: melting through 2901s?

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 17:27:57 EST

>I was wondering if an Atari mathbox could be emulated on a sufficiently
>fast
>micro-controller, since the AMD 2901s are going to become scarcer and
>scarcer.
>I'm pretty sure it could be done.

I'd thought about that too-- in particular, Jeff and I had discussed adding
a little "mathbox"-like board to Space Duel to use it as a general-purpose
development platform for new games. (Seems like Space Duel is one of the
more common vector games out there, and it has lots of buttons. ;-)

I was quite pleased with the number of "math-co-ops" that a 100MHz Scenix
processor could do just running the reference Microchip PIC math libraries.
I don't really know what kind of speed the Atari Mathbox achieves though.
Those 2901's are pretty fast.

>It's true, we were majorly bummed when we found out AOL disks weren't
>nearly as
>exciting to watch as on old CD-R...
>
>So they still didn't think it was destroyed properly? Maybe you only set
>the
>microwave to stun, next time set it to kill (the '10' button).

I've noticed that CDR's tend to "flake" off after being nuked, but "regular"
CD's don't-- I assume that's just because a CDR has the media layer adhering
to one side instead of encapsulated?

-Clay