RE: Vector generator board for a PC.

From: Jenison Mark-QA3578 <Mark.Jenison_at_motorola.com>
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 15:19:12 EST

> If someone were to design a vector generator card for a PC,
> what exactly
> should it's design specs be?
>
> I suppose it should be able to emulate any known vector
> generator, such
> as the two Atari versions, the Gremlin/Sega version, and the
> Cinematronics/Vectorbeam version, BUT JUST WHAT DOES THAT ENTAIL?
>
> And what instructions should be added to make it friendlier to the
> design of new games?

It would be nice to be able to draw them, and have the program figure out the instructions to duplicate them :-) (I know, that's asking a bit much)

> I guess what I'm asking is what is the instruction sets for
> the various
> formats? Where is the line drawn as far as emulation goes?
> Should the
> board handle mathbox functions (trivial if there's a DSP
> used)? Should
> the board be able to emulate the entire game (may not be that hard)?
>
> WHAT??
>
> Somewhere on line are instruction sets for the vector generators.
> Anyone know where they are?

on spies, there's the Sega G80 hardware reference which Al K wrote. Also, Zektor, Star Trek for sure talk about the instructions sets and how the hardware works. Course, Clay wrote a G80 snooper which given instructions will display the vector picture on your computer (so you could use that as a starting point for testing instructions to the G80).

--
Mark Jenison