Re: Bringing Star Wars back to life...

From: peter jones <highwayman2000_at_mail.ru>
Date: Fri Mar 30 2001 - 03:50:18 EST

-----Original Message-----
From: "Bret Pehrson" <bret@classicade.com>
To: "Vector" <vectorlist@synthcom.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 22:08:32 -0800
Subject: VECTOR: Bringing Star Wars back to life...

> I've got two Star Wars units (19" UR and 25" CP) that I will be bringing
> back to life shortly. (I picked these up in a bulk deal from an op -- he
> said they were working other than monitor problems such as single line or
> quadrant missing).
>
> This will be my first foray w/ the Amplifone boards -- I've read up on them
> over the past couple of months, and my plan follows. (The goal is to fix
> the problem(s) without frying everything in the process). Both HV boards
> have the upgraded transformer. Working on one at a time:
>
> - Install a get well kit, replacing the deflection transistors.
> - Reflow all connector joints, and inspect and fix all cold-solder joints.
> - Inspect and replace burned-looking components.
> - Install the boards, connect to the game PCB, don't connect the monitor
> boards to the CRT (to avoid catastrophic burn if problems).
> - Attempt to play game blind (if the game doesn't play, fix the problem
> with the game boards...)
> - Turn down the contrast/brightness all the way and connect monitor board
> to CRT.
> - Turn on and see what happens...
>
> Once I get one monitor working, move on to the second one, using working
> pieces from one if I run into a situation.
>
> Like I said, the goal is to do this with as little potential damage for the
> boards and CRT. I've got a Tek scope w/ XYZ inputs, but I've never used it
> for testing a monitor before...
>
> Any additional pointers/safeguards would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bret

Sounds like you got it covered!

all i would say is be carefull of so-called getwell kits.
much better to make a list of all electrolytic caps,
and buy them seperatly - use 105' low-impedance types.

some kits use cheap 85' rubish caps, and dont include a full set.

DONT FORGET THE CAPS ON THE AUDIO-REGULATOR-II PCB!

L8r.