Re: Vector/Raster switchable monitor?

From: Robert Mudryk <rob_at_lasers.org>
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 10:01:40 EDT

peter jones wrote:

> [...]

MAME is DOS/ WIN32/ LINUX.. and a few others
there are several MAME frontends that can boot from DOS, give a menu system, for selecting games... set modes etc...
including running directly off a Arcade Monitor, there are a few Issues like not turning on the Monitor til the MAME
frontend sets the refresh rate to something that won't destroy the monitor

> also, if you use a modified CGA/EGA card, you can use an arcade monitor!

> Then again,vga monitors are cheaper than real arcade monitors now.

Certain VGA cards can drive "Arcade" Monitors.. in a non-standard refresh rate, ATI Rage Cards can.. I've done it

> though i doubt that a vga monitor will still work in 20 years.
> (unlike my electrohome,wells-gardner & hantarex ones!)

Isn't that the truth :)