Re: Safe to run XY PCB w/ monitor disconnected?

From: John Robertson <jrr_at_flippers.com>
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 00:04:07 EDT

I do not know why this person felt the outputs needed to be lifted. Makes
no sense to me. Unless he was setting the board down on a metal surface and
shorted the outputs to ground and thus was drawing the maximum current (1
amp) from the regulators. Still they have a shut down mode for shorts and
they do NOT burn out from load, they simply shut down. You can and will
have a problem if you go over the input voltage (something like 35VDC) for
them. If I was worried about the regulators I would disconnect the INPUTS
not the outputs. But have never had a problem on our bench with any XY
board overheating the outputs, and this is the Atari Orange test fixture
that is set to the same voltages as the game provides...

John :-#)#