Re: Asteroids hack

From: Neil Bradley <neil_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Tue May 08 2001 - 20:02:00 EDT

> >Except there'll be many missing Deluxe sounds, and the Asteroids sounds
> >can be approxmiated with the pokey that's on the Deluxe.
> Nah... POKEY added to the daughtercard and muxed into the Asteroids audio
> output summing circuit. (Much easier to add a POKEY than the analog sound
> hardware. Well, for me at least!)

The only difference is the "bump" and shot sound. They can both be
duplicated with the Pokey. I'm just worried about the availability of the
Pokeys. Besides, now that you have the source to all three games, you have
no excuse. ;-)

> Still though, a combination technique would probably work for all
> platforms-- some software patches to the DLX and LL code runs quite
> comfortably on Asteroids hardware, and adding the POKEY gets you the DLX
> sounds. For LL, the Pokey could recreate the varying thrust volumes...

The Pokey has an onboard filter that could be used in this fashion.

> > > I didn't want to try to recreate the analog sounds in hardware, and I
> > > want to hack the Asteroids Deluxe sound routines into LL or AST, so I
> > > the Asteroids board. (I figure that the Asteroids thrust sound will be
> > > in LL)
> >Avoiding making software changes and doing it in hardware, eh? ;-)
> Not as much as I've always really liked the smoothness of the Asteroids
> "thrust" sound and I've never known a POKEY to get that same quality.

The Deluxe thrust sound is in hardware and is the same circuit as
Asteroids - it's not generated by the Pokey.

> >Apparently the 65C02 has higher clock rate versions, too. I'm just looking
> >for a source for them.
> I don't think you'll find much anymore, but a few things to try:
> 1) WDC (but I don't think they sell chips anymore though)

They do, actually. I've just been informed that they have 14Mhz DIP 40
parts, but they require a minimum order of $100. The chips are $3.25 each.

-->Neil