Re: Nylon Pushbutton source?

From: tom mcclintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 16:53:58 EDT

Although perhaps a bit too extreme, all the 'new' pushbuttons are not
exact replicas of the pushbuttons of long ago. If you want to restore a
game and replace it with original buttons, you might be out of luck. The
'new' pushbuttons sold by Wico (and available most other places - not
sure about Bob Roberts) have a different button indention on the top.
Deeper than the original. Plus, the springs used in the 'new' buttons
are of a different compression rate (that sounds about right). The
buttons will sit higher in the assembly and have a greater distance of
travel before making contact with the leafswitch. There is definitely a
different feel to them. You can take the old springs out of your buttons
you are replacing, put them in the new buttons and add a washer just
above the eye-clip. This will lower the button top, and give you the
tactile feel you probably are looking for.

I guess Wico made a new injection mold AND sourced different springs. A
friend did buy a bulk assortment of just the springs from Wico, and they
were the 'old' kind.

BTW, if anyone knows a source for black leafswitch buttons, let me know!

tom