Re: BZ + Fluke 9010A + 6502 pod = headache

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Fri May 11 2001 - 19:33:20 EDT

On Thu, 10 May 2001 08:54:17 -0700, you wrote:

>Where did you get the 74sc374's that buffer the data. I have been looking
>for them for quite a while and have had no luck finding them.

        The 74SCxx series was the precursor to the 74HC and HCT series - if
memory serves, it was one of TI's lines, and the SC designation came from
combining the 74Cxx (meaning pinout-compatible CMOS versions of standard
7400 TTL packages) and 74Sxx (speedier versions) designators. In other
words, "Speedy CMOS". :) (At the time, IIRC, the most common CMOS logic
family was the 4000 series, which was significantly slower than the 7400
TTL chips.)

        Depending on the circuit, you should be able to substitute either a
74HC-series or a 74HCT-series chip for any of the old 74SC parts. (The
difference is that 74HC is compatible, signal and voltage-wise, with 4000
and 74C-series CMOS; 74HCT is compatible with regular 5-volt TTL logic.) I
forget whether the SC's were CMOS-level or TTL-level, so check your
schematic to see what other chips are connecting to it. :)