Re: Tempest/LV2000 Problem/Question

From: peter jones <highwayman2000_at_mail.ru>
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 20:23:42 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: "Hood, Eric W" <Eric.Hood@maritz.com>
To: "'vectorlist@synthcom.com'" <vectorlist@synthcom.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 14:40:02 -0400
Subject: VECTOR: Tempest/LV2000 Problem/Question

> Hello, this is my first time posting to this list, but I've been watching
> since October... Jeff Hendrix suggested I raise my question with the
> vectorlist:
>
> (This is a very long message, as it's a copy of my posts to RGVAC, but I
> wanted to make this as complete as I could)
>
> ------------------------------
> (Here's the original message I sent him)
>
> I've recently installed your LV2000 into my Tempest monitor, along w/ a
> cap-kit. However, I'm having some problems, and am hoping you might have
> some ideas.
>
> When I do your test procedure, w/ nothing connected but the deflector board,
> both diodes light up fine. Plus, I've adjusted the pots to +/- 26 volts per
> the instructions.
>
> However, when I connect up everything else, and start it up, the following
> happens.
>
> 1) Both diodes come on, and so does the spot killer.
> 2) Spot killer turns off after 2 seconds.
> 3) The right diode (+26V?) turns off after 5 seconds, and the spot killer
> remains off.
> 4) A small, but very erratic picture does show up in the lower-left hand
> corner (monitor layed horizontal on my table). It's about 3" wide x 2"
> high. I can see red lines, blue lines, and yellow lines. (Oh, and the game
> does play blind)
> 5) Turn off the machine, the left diode turns off, the right turns on, and
> so does the spot killer. (The two fade out slowly)

o.k. ignore the dot-killer led, it's doing it's job.

the led os going off because there it exessive current flow in the circuit.

the fact that it goes on again after you power it down says that there is NOT a direct short in the system.

what is probably happening is that something in the monitor is turning-on a power-transister for too-long causing an overload.

try looking at the deflection amplifier circuit that uses that power-rail.
it is probably something small and inocent-looking :-)