Re: Game values

From: Andy Welburn <warlords_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 14:18:42 EDT

> <<Snip from Andy Welburn's reply>>
> >Look at 1970's black and white raster videos... how much do they make on
> >ebay? PENNIES!! by the common thought of, "the older it gets, the more
its
> >worth" this doesn't ring true at all does it!!!???!! Where are all the
> >people that played these videos in the 70's?? too busy with family/house
> >stuff probably.. Lets face it, most early eighties video collectors are
30
> >somethings with money to burn (kind of).

<<more snippage>>

> But you know, it is very difficult to collect decent examples of these
games
> as well (almost as hard as vector games! ;^) ) as most of them are beat
> shit, or not working, missing parts, or whatever. It took me over a year
> find a working 19" b/w raster monitor for my BiPlane after I gave up
trying
> to get it working again. These games are disappearing as we speak and that
> is a shame and I applaude Al Kossow for this bronzeage preservation
> activities. Asside from the common Breakout and table Pong games, think of
> specific b/w raster game then ask yourself when was the last time you saw
> one for sale? I have an Atari Orbit (Space Wars clone) that I love and
have
> seen it for sale only once since I picked up mine.
>
> Of course there are the b/w games that still bring in big bucks such as
> Computer Space, original Pong, Death Race, Maneater and so forth.

oh of course... but relative to colour rasters and the vectors, b/w rasters
(if they're not the big names) fetch very little, like $150 max. I wasn't
berating the fact they are hard to find etc.. i know full well they're hard
to find, but when they do turn up, they never fetch 'good' money..

And if course my main point was to disprove the previous statement made that
as things get older they are worth more that someone said earlier in the
thread :) 70's b/wrasters = older than all colour rasters but != worth
more..... unlike the guy who thought the older it is, the more it makes...

> I have to agree here and I hope it's right to some extent. I'd love to
pick
> up a prime example of an Asteroids Deluxe for less than 500.00+. I sold
mine
> 3 years ago for 300.00, in prime condition and have missed it since. Doh!!

you and me both :) unfortunately, prices on this side of the pond have
dropped slightly, but they've only dropped ever so slightly, and people are
still paying far too much for stuff :) Far, far more than an american price.
But then, its a different market, Space Invaders is king over here, forget
Ms Pacman hehe.

> Regards,
> Tom Cloud

Andy Welburn